Adventure Science Center presents the 18th annual
TWISTER conference for high school girls
February 29, 2020
Tennessee Women in Science, Technology, Engineering & Research (TWISTER) is a one day professional conference for high school girls, presented by women working in STEM (science, technology, engineering and research) professions. Each presenter is eager to share details about her career, answer your questions, help steer you to the right educational pathway, and give you a little taste of daily life in the workplace. Participants attend four 55-minute sessions that explore a variety of STEM topics.
Registration opens Friday, December 20, 2019
Why attend TWISTER?
- Opportunities to meet and connect with women working in a wide array of STEM professions
- A chance to hear first-hand how women balance careers, interests and family
- Fun and engaging hands-on STEM activities and topics
- To discover new career ideas, college pathways and requirements, opportunities for internships and other educational experiences
- A chance to meet other young women with similar interests and passions
Day of information
- The conference begins at 9am and ends by 4pm
- The Adventure Science Center will be closed to the public on February 29, 2020. Only registered students will be allowed into the center and event.
- The $15 registration for the event includes access to four 55 minute STEAM sessions, lunch, an event t-shirt, give-a-ways, live music and a chance to win awesome door prizes
- Participants will be emailed more details closer to the day of the event, and will be able to select a session schedule for the day during event check-in
- TWISTER may conflict with February ACT or SAT dates. We suggest you check with your school before registering.
- For more information on group rates please email email@example.com
The purpose of this scholarship is to enable the recipient to continue her education and pursue her ambition in a STEM field (with preference given to those pursuing technology-related careers).
Two scholarships will be awarded to Tennessee high school students. The winning award will be for $5,000 with the runner-up receiving $2,500. Scholarship recipients will be introduced and awards presented at the TWISTER event on February 29 by representatives of Women in Technology of Tennessee.
Applications are now closed.
I love that [TWISTER] exists! It’s great to see so many amazing women willing to set aside time from their day to encourage younger girls to believe in themselves and take on a technical career path.
- Ashley Parks, CEO of Aloncii, Inc.
TWISTER seeks female role-models currently working in science, technology, engineering, research, or math-related fields who would like the opportunity to positively impact high school women interested in STEM. Presenters are asked to prepare and present a 55-minute session for 20-25 participants; session should include a hands-on activity relative to your topic.
Click here to submit a presenter interest form. We will begin reviewing submissions at the first of the year. If your proposal is selected a member of our team will reach out directly.
If you have any questions about presenting or volunteering, contact TWISTER@adventuresci.org.
The success of TWISTER depends on its volunteers! Opportunities include presentation assistants, set-up and/or cleanup crews, registration aids, and other in general event duties. Sign up to volunteer >> “I loved that there is such an event for girls! I like to think that I learned as much as the girls did when I was a room assistant and listened to the presentations. It’s one thing to learn of various areas of science related fields, but it is entirely different to see female role models present their experiences in such an intimate setting.” - Linda Turner, Key Account Executive at Cumberland Electric Membership Corp., Women’s International Network of Utility Professionals (WiNUP) Presenters and volunteers can contact TWISTER@adventuresci.org with questions.
Are you looking to support TWISTER with a donation?
We appreciate all donations received that help provide this opportunity for high school girls of all backgrounds to engage in STEM education and explore new and exciting career paths. Your donation helps cover the cost of registration fees for TWISTER attendees, and allows us to serve a broader range of communities in middle Tennessee through TWISTER.
Click the button below and include “TWISTER Support” in the comments form to make your donation: